Semaine des bibliotheques publiques
It’s Public Library Week from Oct. 16 to 23, which means there are some special activities on for families. In case you aren’t acquainted with your local library, this is a good time to get a membership.
Municipal libraries typically have children’s sections that come in handy on rainy days, and often hold story times and workshops for various ages. Here are some of the special activities happening this weekend:
Saturday, Oct. 16: Breakfast and books: Breakfast will be served for families at the following municipal libraries. Registration and membership are required, unless otherwise noted:
- Beaconsfield, 8:30 to 10 a.m., breakfast for families, bilingual story time. Call 514-428-4400, ext. 4468.
- Dollard, 9 a.m. breakfast followed by story time; bilingual, for age 6 to 12 with parents. Call 514-684-1496.
- Dorval, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., breakfast followed by stories. Call 514-633-4170.
- Pointe Claire, 9 a.m. to 10:30, breakfast with accordian music. Children welcome. Call 514-630-1218, ext. 1624.
- Town of Mount Royal, 10 a.m. to 11:30, a family breakfast including fruit, pastry and pancakes will be served. No registration required. Call 514-734-2967.
Saturday, Oct. 16, 10:30 a.m.: Storytime and actvities for age 3 to 6, with a pumpkin and broomstick theme, at Mile End Library, 5434 Park Ave., Montreal. French. Registration and membership required. Call 514-872-2141.
Saturday, Oct. 16, 10:15 a.m.: Storytime: La Fête de Mademoiselle Nancy, for age 4 to 7, about a character who loves to dress up. Fancy costumes encouraged. At St. Laurent Library, 1380 de l’Église St., St. Laurent. Registration required. 514-855-6130, ext 4744. French.
Sunday, Oct. 17, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Open House at Côte St. Luc Library, including various activities for kids: treasure hunt, craft from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., face-painting and balloon animals from 1:30 to 3:15 p.m., puppet show (Yorgo and the World, by Panadream Theatre. Cost: $5) at 2 p.m., family story time at 3:30 p.m. Call 514-485-6900. See full schedule.
Sunday, Oct. 17, 1:30 to 3 p.m.: Scrapbooking workshop for age 5 to 12. Participants are invited to bring photos and other mementos to personalize during the session, at Dorval Library, 1401 Lakeshore Dr. $3 for members, $6 non-members. Registration required. Call 514-633-4170.
Sunday, Oct. 17, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.: Contes de verre et feu: A musical show with stories from around the world, along with the sounds of didjeridoo, xylophone and other percussion instruments, for age 6 and up, at La Grande Bibliothèque, 475 de Maisonneuve Blvd. E. French. No registration or library membership required. More information.
To see the full program of activities for Public Library Week, go to the Semaine des Bibliothèques website.