We recently went to a professional development conference in Arlington, Virginia where we learned from others in our industry about the state of parenting publications both in print and online. The good news is that these niche publications continue to do well in most North American markets because parents find the local content (and advertising!) so pertinent to their lives.
At the end of the conference, we attended a gala dinner where awards were given out to the best in our industry. Publications from across the United States, Canada and Australia were represented in a competition that recognizes excellence in journalism, photography and design. The competition was judged by the staff from the Missouri School of Journalism.
We are proud to say that Montreal Families won 16 awards: 9 editorial and 7 design. Here is a list of the categories:
All design awards were presented to Isabelle Richard, our Creative Art Director extraordinaire!!
- Front cover: July issue of little girl wearing a sunhat – photo by Cookie et sa garde robe.
- Table of contents
- New and notable
- Feature layout/colour
- Feature layout/black & white
- Overall use of photography
- Overall design
- Headline writing: Kelly Wilton, Liz Warwick
- Book review columns: Kelly Di Domenico – “A new chapter in the life of Winnie-the-Pooh” and “Books that teach kids about poverty”
- Travel feature: Liz Warwick – “Washington offers capital fun for families”
- Personal essay: Alissa Sklar – “Sexually charged lyrics offer chance to discuss values”
- News feature: Alissa Sklar – “How to talk to kids about disturbing events”
- Service feature: Liz Warwick, Eileen Travers and Kelly Wilton – “How to teach kids about money”
- General feature writing: Alissa Sklar: “Confessions of a parent who hijacked a school project”
- Overall reporting: editorial team
- Overall writing: editorial team
If you would like to read any of the stories, type in the article title into the search bar on this site.