Free outdoor musical event for families
Families looking for a weekend of fall fun might want to head over to Beaubien Park the weekend of September 10 and 11. The 6th edition of the Grandes Oreilles Festival will have live music, activities, workshops, and entertainment to amuse the youngest attendees and adults alike.
Kids can take part in several art projects, games, and musical workshops including:
- Micro-magic adapted to the theme of music, presented by professional illusionist Marc-Alexandre Brûlé. Creation of musical instruments (with recycled materials), presented by the École de musique Vincent-d’Indy.
- Musical and rhythmic awakening, presented by the École de musique Vincent-d’Indy.
- Animation of the children’s magazine Grilled Cheese, with DIY of a paper toy.
- Interactive percussion activity by Baratanga.
- Animation (quiz and games) by the Maison des jeunes d’Outremont.
- Musical reading suggestions, in collaboration with the Bibliothèque Robert-Bourassa.
The entertainment lineup includes latin music performances, hip-hop, rap, and more.
Ariane Racicot will perform; the 25-year-old jazz musician rocketed to fame thanks to the 18 million YouTube views of her interpretation of Bohemian Rhapsody.
Tupi Collective is a Brazilian music duo created in August 2012 by Marcus Freitas (Dj Mks) and Wallace Roza (Dj Skambo). Their performance will come to life thanks to the “Tupicycle”, a tricycle with turntables, a mixer, and speakers.
Originally from Mali, Diely Mory Tounkara learned to play the kora (a typically 22-stringed instrument used extensively in West Africa) at a very young. A Montrealer for the past 10 years, he created the Tounkara-Lavoie group in 2012.
All activities and musical entertainment are free of charge. There are bathrooms and a playground at the park. Small snacks will be available for purchase (cash only) or bring a picnic.
Beaubien Park, 6633 6th Avenue, Outremont. Accessible by bus 51, 80, 119, and 129 or by metro Outremont.
For more details and the schedule of events, visit their Facebook page or website grandesoreilles.ca.